Tuesday was a big day for PH-MAS Cycling Team! We were travelling down to Redditch, as the men's team had been asked to ride as guests in round 7 of the Pearl Izumi Tour Series, then Alison and I had managed to get a ride in round 4 of the Matrix Fitness Grand Prix Series. We'd be mixing with teams like Wiggle Honda, Pearl Izumi Sports Tours International, Wyndymilla, Matrix Fitness-Vulpine and Starley Primal. Very exciting!
It takes about 2 and a half hours to get to Redditch from here, plus the obligatory coffee stop en route, so we left Otley at 12.30 to give ourselves plenty of time. There were 7 of us racing in total, 5 in the men's race; Andrew Wooler, Max Spedding, Ollie Payton, Scott Auld and Sam Ward, then Alison and myself in the women's race. This meant a lot of work for team manager and assistant Neil and Nicky, who probably have the hardest jobs - making sure we're all prepped, ready and in the right place at the right time!
Just some of the prep that goes into a race - look at all the bottles!! (Photo: Neil Hendry)
Just some of the prep that goes into a race - look at all the bottles!! (Photo credit: Neil Hendry)
It was very soggy in Redditch when we arrived. It had been showery all day and was due to stay that way all evening. We got changed and went to sign on/riders briefing. It was all a bit different to any other race I've done so far! Everything was tightly organised and run on a strict schedule, plus we had transponders to put on our bikes (for electronic timing), as well as the usual numbers.
Concentrating hard during my warm up, wet rollers makes it so much harder! (Photo credit: Nicky Hartle)
Concentrating hard during my warm up, wet rollers makes it so much harder (Photo credit: Nicky Hartle)
Next, down to the pits and onto some very slippy rollers to warm up, before a few practice laps. The course at Redditch is mostly wide, with a fast descent down to a sweeping corner, a draggy climb and then one technical corner just after the finishing straight. Fairly safe, except for a lot of surface water.  Quicker than I knew it, it was time to line up on the start.
With team manager Neil Hendry, just before the start. I don't look half as nervous as I felt! (Photo credit: Nicky Hartle)
With team manager Neil Hendry, just before the start. I don't look half as nervous as I felt! (Photo credit: Nicky Hartle)
The start is gridded, meaning the leading rider, sprinter and team get to go at the front. As we were guest riders, we had to start right at the back. To be honest, I didn't mind much - we were the newest riders there and it was almost reassuring to be out of the way of any trouble. The crowds and atmosphere were amazing! So many people had come out to watch, which we don't often get at our usual races.
On the start line (Photo credit: Nicky Hartle)
On the start line (Photo credit: Nicky Hartle)
Concentration!! (Photo credit: Nicky Hartle)
In the zone!! (Photo credit: Nicky Hartle)
The countdown started and then we were off! The next few minutes were very fast and very painful. It's a completely different level to what we're used to! I hadn't expected anything else though, in the company of riders like Dame Sarah Storey. Both Alison and I were dropped from the lead group and main bunch, but managed to stick with the back groups. I was with about 5 other riders, whereas Alison had just 2 others for company, just in front of my group.
Putting in some effort (Photo credit: Nicky Hartle)
Accelerating after the tricky corner (Photo credit: Nicky Hartle)
Riding with the best! Alison with a rider from Mulebar-Sigma Sport (Photo credit: Nicky Hartle)
Riding with the best! Alison with a rider from Mulebar Girl - Sigma Sport (Photo credit: Nicky Hartle)
The rest of the race was really good fun! We had the crowd to cheer us along as we tried to keep ahead of the leaders and avoid being lapped. We couldn't keep them away though and eventually we were lapped by the lead group, who were quickly followed by the chasing group. This meant that we would sprint for our placings with 3 laps to go and finish there.
Corner skills (Photo credit: Nicky Hartle)
Corner skills (Photo credit: Nicky Hartle)
In the end, Alison came 36th and I finished 40th out of 48 starters. I'm happy with how I did, for my first go - I didn't come last!! It was such an amazing experience and hopefully not the last time I'll get to do a race like that.
After we'd finished and cooled down, it was time for the men to race. We walked miles to find a coffee (drinking coffee is pretty much all I do when I'm not riding a bike :P ), then went to watch and cheer on our guys from the pits. Unfortunately, they didn't have much luck, Scott was the only rider to finish after punctures, a crash, illness and cramp.
Alison's and my bike on some very fancy stands in the pits
Alison's and my bike on some very fancy stands in the pits, wheels on stand by as spares if needed
Huge thanks to Neil and Nicky for getting us into the races, taking us all down and looking after us so well. It's an opportunity we'd probably never have had otherwise and I loved every minute of it! :D